Thursday, September 29, 2005

Super Smoothies

One of my favorite recipe books is called Super Smoothies by Mary Corpening Barber and Sara Corpening Whiteford. I'm assuming they kept thier maiden names because they are sisters who own a catering company together. The pages are bright, colorful, and filled with simple smoothie recipes. Many of them are adaptable to whatever you happen to have in your fruit basket, and I have switched ingredients around plenty of times. My sister recently told me she was eating granola and yogurt for breakfast and this sounded so yummy that I bought some for myself. I almost keeled over when I realized that just half a cup of granola itself was 4 points (WW) - add the yogurt and say a handful of blueberries and you've got yourself a healthy-but-8-point breakfast as opposed to my usual 3 to 4 point breakfast. So, to offset this, I thought I'd better start using that big tub of yogurt to make smoothies on alternating days.
Here's a recipe that I altered just slightly by adding sliced pears (canned by my neighbor) instead of the peaches and a couple of scoops of low-fat vanilla yogurt instead of the blueberry yogurt...

Vita Pack
1 cup low-fat blueberry yogurt
3/4 cup chilled apple juice
3/4 cup fresh blueberries
1 cup frozen unsweetened chopped or sliced peaches

Combine the yogurt and juice in a blender. Add the blueberries and peaches and blend until smooth. Serves 2.
(The authors note that this is a good thing to have about an hour before working out because it has lots of carbs which are good for working muscle. I also think it's great for overall health because blueberries are full of antioxidants.)

No comments: