I call this one spicy, but it's actually pretty mild - definitely kid-friendly which is why it has become a favorite at our house. I adapted this recipe from one of those layered-mix-in-a-jar recipes that you can give as gifts. Layering the lentils with different colored beans makes it bright and festive. You just put the dried spices in a plastic bag and add it to the top of the jar. The other reason I like this recipe is that although it takes a little planning ahead, you don't have to soak the dry beans overnight. If you can get this going by 3:30 or 4pm, you can still have dinner around 6pm. It makes enough for our family to have two meals and a bit more for lunch... It freezes well, and I have made it for other moms when they came home with new babies.
3 and 3/4 cups mixed beans and lentils (I usually include 3/4 cups each of black beans, red beans, Great Northern white beans, split peas, and lentils - but you can also get a bag of mixed soup beans.)
2 Tbsp dried minced onion
2 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
2 Tbsp beef boullion granules (or 6 cubes of boullion - but you can also subsitute broth later on.)
2 tsp dried basil
2 tsp powdered lemonade mix with sugar (I have also used a tsp lemon juice, and a tsp sugar)
1 and 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp dried oregano
1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes
8 cups water (or beef broth)
Rinse and place beans into a microwave-safe dish. Fill with water about 1-2" above the beans, and cover dish loosely. The recipe says to use saran wrap, but since I use microwave-safe Tupperware with the pop-top I just use the lid with that hole open for the water to steam out. Microwave for 7 minutes, then use a spoon to mix the beans before microwaving again for another 8 minutes. Be careful because the steam can burn you! While the beans are cooking, I throw together all the dry spices in a small bowl. On a side note: Because the microwave is all steamy and wet after cooking the beans, I usually take this opportunity to wipe it out - all clean and ready for the next use.
Now that the beans are mostly cooked, you'll have to rinse them again. I do this by transferring them a few scoops at a time with a slotted spoon into a small colander... I rinse them and then immediately pour them into a large stockpot to begin putting together the soup. I then add the spices, crushed tomatoes, and water. Bring to a boil and then cover, turning the heat to low. Simmer for about 1 and a half hours or until the beans are completely tender, stirring occasionally.
Serve with rolls or delicious thick slices of homemade bread. Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment