Monday, July 03, 2006

Creamy Potato Salad

I love this potato salad because it's healthier than the stuff you can buy at the grocery store deli and tastes exactly the same - sure, it's a little more work... but totally worth it. Also, it contains hard-boiled eggs and I've been craving egg salad a lot during my 3rd pregnancy. Certainly not something you'd want to make every day if you're counting calories, but isn't it nice to treat oneself with a cool side dish on a hot summer day? This one's from good ol' Betty Crocker:

Creamy Potato Salad
6 medium round red or white potatoes (2 lbs), peeled (sometimes I leave the skins on)
1 and 1/2 cups mayonnaise or salad dressing (I use light mayo)
1 tbsp white or cider vinegar
1 tbsp yellow mustard
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 medium stalks celery, chopped (1 cup)
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup - I actually use chopped green onions instead)
4 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and chopped (I use 3)
Paprika, if desired

Place potatoes in 3-quart saucepan; add enough water to cover potatoes. Cover and heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Cook covered 30 to 35 minutes or until potatoes are tender; drain. Let stand until cool enough to handle. Cut potatoes into cubes.
Mix mayo, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in large glass or plastic bowl. Add potatoes, celery and onion; toss. Stir in eggs. Sprinkle with paprika, if desired. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours to blend flavors and chill. Store covered in refrigerator, and serve with your favorite outdoor meal!

No comments: